Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you lose time from work due to drinking or drug use?
- Is drinking or drug use making your home life unhappy?
- Do you drink or use drugs because you are shy with other people?
- Is drinking or drug use affecting your reputation?
- Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of drinking or drug use?
- Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking or using drugs?
- Does your drinking or drug use make you careless of your family’s welfare?
- Has your ambition decreased since drinking or using drugs?
- Do you crave a drink or drugs at a definite time daily?
- Do you want a drink or drugs the next morning?
- Does drinking or using drugs cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
- Has your efficiency decreased since drinking or using drugs?
- Is drinking or using drugs jeopardizing your job or business?
- Do you drink or use drugs to escape from worries or trouble?
- Do you drink or use drugs alone?
- Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking or drug use?
- Has your physician ever treated you for drinking or drug use?
- Do you drink or use drugs to build up your self-confidence?
- Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking or drug use?
A Yes to three or more questions indicate abuse or addiction is present and corrective steps need to be taken.
Questions are courtesy of Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland